From LDWF News Report:
Jan. 6, 2017 - The Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission (LWFC) adopted notices of intent for the 2017-18 and 2018-19 hunting seasons, 2017-18 general and Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) hunting seasons and rules and regulations, Experimental Dove Field Leasing Program, 2018 general and WMA turkey hunting season and rules and regulations, and 2017-18 migratory bird hunting season and rules and regulations at its January meeting Thursday in Baton Rouge.
The notices of intent include proposed hunting season dates and regulation changes from the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) for the upcoming hunting seasons and provide for a public comment period.
Some of the proposed changes include:
· Change in deer seasons in Deer Areas 4 and 10, eliminating bucks-only days, and changing the entire season to either-sex harvest. Also changing season limits in these areas from a limit of six (not to exceed three antlered or four antlerless), to a limit of three (not to exceed two antlered or two antlerless).
· Change in deer seasons for Deer Area 7, eliminating bucks-only days, and changing the entire season to either-sex harvest while still maintaining the six deer season limit.
· Modification to water level benchmark closure language to facilitate reopening the season at a lower level than the closure level in Deer Area 5.
· Adding water level benchmark closure and reopening language for certain roads on Dewey Wills WMA.
· Change in reporting time period for the validation of deer and turkey tags from seven days to 72 hours following harvest of deer or turkey.
· Implementation of shot restrictions for dove hunters on WMAs and on LDWF leased dove fields, restricting shot to non-toxic shot, size 6 and smaller.
· Removal of restrictions on weapons that can be carried by deer hunters during primitive seasons on private lands.
· Addition of Small Game Emphasis Area to Pomme de Terre WMA.
· Addition of available days of opportunity within the Small Game Emphasis Areas on Richard K. Yancey and Sherburne WMAs.
· Addition of youth squirrel season on Pomme de Terre and Grassy Lake WMAs, to be held the fourth Saturday of September for two days.
· Elimination of live transport permits for feral hogs during February hog dog seasons on WMAs.
· Modification of opening day of statewide turkey season from the last Saturday of March to the first Saturday of April.
· Modification of teal season to change from the last three weekends in September to the last 16 days of September.
· Change in daily bag limit for pintail from two to one.
· Change in youth age requirements for youth waterfowl seasons, from 15 years of age and younger to 17 years of age and younger.
· Elimination of Experimental Quality Deer seasons on WMAs.
· Adjustments to deer seasons on Bodcau, Bayou Macon, Boeuf and Dewey W. Wills WMAs.
· Addition of opportunity for youth deer and squirrel hunting on Kisatchie National Forest.
To view the full notice of intent and all proposed hunting season dates and regulations changes for the upcoming hunting seasons, please visit http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/action-items.
Public comment will be accepted at LWFC monthly meetings from February through March and/or can be submitted in writing by mail to: Steve Smith, LDWF Wildlife Division, P.O. Box 98000, Baton Rouge, LA 70898-9000, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org until 4:30 p.m., March 5, 2017.